Feb. 15 - Terry arrives in Seoul early early morning
Feb. 15 - Terry and I leave from Seoul in the evening and arrive in Bangkok at about 11pm
Feb. 15-18 - Bangkok
Feb. 18 - 22 - Phuket
Feb. 22 - Bangkok (we had to fly back to Bangkok because there were no flights to Cambodia from Phuket)
Feb. 23-25 - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Feb. 26-28 - Terry in Seoul
This schedule caused a lot of aggravation because flight times were a pain in the arse. It's hard to make the most of your time when flight times don't match well...but anyways, not important now.
Wherever we went, people asked where we were from. Of course, every time we said America, people looked skeptical, so we had to tell them we were Chinese too. When we answered America sometimes, they would say something like, "Oh, from America? But you were born in China?" Har. In Thailand, a lot of people said we looked Thai and in Cambodia, people said we looked Cambodian. I guess I am darker than most Chinese.
We arrived in Bangkok late at night, so we just booked a hotel near the airport because the city is about 40 minutes away. I must say I picked a pretty decent hotel. The hotel, Thong Ta Resorts and Spa, was about $20USD only and the rooms were modern, comfortable, and clean. Customer service was excellent too. Funny story: I washed my underwear and set it out on the balcony to dry. Of course with my luck, it flew away during the middle of the night. The next morning, when we were in the hotel shuttle bus, Terry spotted my underwear on the grass in front of the hotel. I didn't retrieve it since we were already driving off. Good laugh, good laugh.
Thong Ta Resort and Spa
Bangkok is HOT. We really couldn't walk around much during the day without needing to stop for cold drinks. Good thing they were available everywhere. Carts sold ice cream, coconuts, Thai ice tea, etc. and they were cheap (about 50 cents). Yet being the spoiled children we are, we mostly went into the more expensive coffee shops for the AC. On our first day, we went to Siam Paragon (expensive shopping mall) to eat lunch at their food court. The food was pretty cheap so we were able to try a lot of different things. There were so many yummy food to choose from that we had to walk around 2-3 times before we could decide. We also rented our own private long tail boat and cruised around the Chao Phraya River. We got to pass through a lot of temples and river homes along the way. It's a bit sad to see the houses that people live in since it looks like shacks. None of the houses I saw had AC units either, so I guess that explains why we saw people taking a dip in the river. The water was mad dirty, but I guess it's the only free way to cool off. After the cruise, we went to a Night Market (forget the name) and shopped around for awhile, looking at stalls after stalls. Terry and I really suck at bargaining and bargaining is something that I hate doing. It's not that I want to pay full price, but it's just a major hassle to go through for something I probably don't really want or need anyway.
Well, here's some pictures of our 1st day in Bangkok.
Incheon Airport
On8 Sukhumvit...our hotel in Bangkok. It was about $65/night. Breakfast was free and very yummy. Fresh fruits every morning too.
No comments:
Post a Comment